FC3 upgrade breaks iso -> "write to disc" with "cannot open SCSI driver" error

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Dec 30 01:27:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 00:39 -0800, Gordon Mohr (@ Bitzi) wrote:
> In FC2, the right-click "write to disc" option for an ISO file worked like a
> charm with no special configuration required.
>
> After a recent upgrade to FC3, it fails with an "Error writing to CD"
> dialog. Requesting "details" gives a window with the following output:
>
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
> cdrecord: Permission denied. Cannot open '/dev/hdc'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> devname: '/dev/hdc'
> scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
> cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
> cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
> cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
> cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
>
> Any idea what changed (and how I can change it back)?
>
> Thanks for any insights,
>
> - Gordon Mohr

Guessing that you upgraded from FC2?  Anyway it looks like the gnome
cdwriter thinks you are using a 2.4 kernel which requires SCSI
emulation.  Two work-arounds are to use cdrecord from the command line
(use man cdrecord to see options) or use the k3b program that comes with
FC3.  I highly recommend k3b as one of the most polished programs.

the cdwriter is configured in /etc/cdrecord.conf  if you want to try to
reconfigure that.  You might even find a cdrecord.conf.new that probably
would replace the other, though I don't know for sure.

HTH

Scott