export to a database from evo 1.4.6

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Thu Dec 30 04:21:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 13:38 +1100, david wrote:
> hi alexander

Not quite Alexander, but can perhaps offer some help.

> i have been saving emails in a kind of help file for me broken over
> about one hundred folders in subheadings for the particular problem and
> answer
> how can i export to a database?

Can't help you there, but should not be necessary.  Evolution 2.0 can
convert existing mail folders (from ~/evolution to ~/.evolution) first
time it is started.

> im updating to fc3 soon on a new machine but i will be taking along this
> hdd but will formatting it on install
> to be able to export the data and not loose it is the only reason i
> havent updated already
> thanks for any insights

Back up the user's home directory to a CD, or over a network, or just
don't reformat /home if on a separate partition.  [Could also do an
upgrade rather than a fresh install, although a clean start is usually
preferable.]  In any case, need to make new user/group IDs match the old
or change ownership after restoring evolution and .gconf/apps/evolution
directories from the old home to the new.  First time Evolution is
started on the new system it should offer to convert the mail folders.

> evo 1.4.6
> fc2
> x86_64
> thanks
> david

The following link to the archives may be helpful -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-October/msg02660.html

Phil