new kernel but doesn\\\'t show up in grub at system boot

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 09:34:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:40:51 +0100, zaggzigger
<no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for showing an interest in this.  To answer some of the questins, here is some clarification of what I've got here: (copied from various screens)
>
> /dev/hda
> hda1, start at 1, End at 13, Size=102, Type=ext3
> hda2, start at 14, End at 3737, Size+29212, Type=LVM Physical Volume
>
> /dev/hdb
> hdb1, start at 1, End at 1663, Size=13043, Type=LVM Physical Volume
> -----------------
> The system only has FC3 - it has no other OS at all - AND it was configured by the original FC3 install CDs - accepted all the defaults.
> __________________
> Now when I get into the system and search for a boot folder, I only one get under "/", and that contains:
> config-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
> initrd-2.6.9-1.681_FC3.img
> vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
> System.map-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
> and a grub  folder which is empty
>
> Now when the system boots, the boot screen only shows FC 667, and the boot screen reads:
>
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root= /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quite
> initrd/initrd--2.6.9-1.667.img
>
> Which of course is a different kernel to what's in /boot.
>
> The only grub.conf I have is in /etc and that is shown as "22 bytes (link broken)". And if I get to it from the file viewer and try and open it, it tells me "This link can't be used, because its target "/boot/grub/grub.conf" doesn't exist."
>
> The other puzzling thing for me an old doshead is that I cannot find the /vm file that apparently boots - ie I cannot find "vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667" on my system.
>
> All the documentation says that the machine is booting from /boot (or a reference to) - so where is this machine booting from?
>
> Now what I have found since starting to write this note is that I have two folders in /lib/modules, and one is called:
> "2.6.9-1.667" which is the version that boots, and the other is:
> "2.6.9-1.681_FC3" which is the one in the /boot directory which won't show up as a choice to boot (sorry to repeat myself).
>
> Both these folders contain trees leading to different hardware.  For example the folder /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/arch/i386/boot exists - as do folders for sparc, sparc 64, mips, ia64 and so on. These boot folders all contain different things - but always the MAKE utility (if that's what you call it).
>
> The other aspect of this is that I have allowed up2date to do all the configuring on my machine - I don't even know enough to be dangerous.
>
> Hope someone can shine a light on this - it's increasing looking like broken links to me - but I have no idea where to look or how to fix.

A failure occured during the upgrading of your latest kernel.  Check
the files in /boot/grub/.  You should find the actual grub.conf file
that your system is using for booting.   Edit that file and replace
all references to the old .667 kernel with the  .681_FC3 kernel
equivalents.  You need to use the newer kernel because the older
kernel was removed. Then fix the broken symbolic link in /etc with the
following:

# ln -sf /boot/grub/grub.conf /etc/grub.conf
                ^

   full path is not necrssary if you are in /boot/grub/

Menu.lst in the /boot/grub directory may also have a broken link.  Fix
it by creating a link to grub.conf, i.e.

# ln -sf grub.conf menu.lst