Domain Forwarding?

tonydm inbox at mariosmaintenance.com
Thu Dec 30 10:37:57 UTC 2004

Hi group,

I'm using FC3 as a Web and Samba server, but may be off topic.

I have a domain parked at a registry (discountdomainregistry.com).  I am
forwarding all traffic to my static ip where it passes through a
firewall forwarding a select group of ports to my webserver.  Over the
past several weeks I have had problems with my domain disappearing.
When typing in the address in a browser, it errors with not available.
Can't be, the server is up and aok.  If I type in the static ip address
the site pops right up.  I also get no response when I ping the domain
name.  No problem with pinging the static ip.  It's obvious the problem
lies with where it is parked.

There are a 1001 places to park a domain.  Since your a savy group, I'm
looking for some suggestions from you as to who you have/are using.  A
place I can count on.  I simply want to park and forward the domain.  I
also need/want to have email aliases which I can forward.  Or perhaps
there's an alternative.  I'm very much at the lower end of the
experienced scale with linux, webserver, dns issues, and the like.  I
come from a long hardware background from the windows side.

While I'm on this topic of forwarding.  Can someone tell my why when I
forward with "masking" I can't get to a sub folder unless I go the home
site, and link to a page in a sub folder?  i.e.
www.mydomainname.com/epages/index.html simply takes me to
www.mydomainname.com/index.html

thanks

tonydm