14. Re: yum update doesn't! (Kam Leo)

bitbucket bitbucket at wideopenwest.com
Thu Dec 30 15:17:28 UTC 2004

Message: 14 Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:41:21 -0800 From: Kam Leo
<kam.leo at gmail.com> Subject: Re: yum update doesn't! To: For users of
Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com> Message-ID:
<f84880b0041229194111641e7 at mail.gmail.com> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=US-ASCII On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:28:38 -0800, Kam Leo
<kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
Yum goes

 >> Depending on its setting SELinux may have an impact.; X/KDE/Gnome
 >> should have no impact on yum. I prefer using yum over up2date because
 >> I don't want to be bothered with clicking through the up2date dialogs.
 >>  I open a terminal in KDE or Gnome and let yum take care of the
 >> updates.
 >>
 >> If you continue having difficulties upgrading yum with yum don't beat
 >> yourself over the head, install what you got in the cache using "rpm
 >> -ivh *.rpm".  The important part is to get your system in working

     ^

Ops, should be "rpm -uvh *.rpm"

 >> order.  You can attend to yum at a later time.  Try apt-get or smart,
 >> http://smartpm.org , as alternatives.

I think the command that you are looking for is:

rpm -Uvh "rpm name" --force    *not sure if you need the --force.

-bitbucket00