How to install Tora-1.3.14.1 with Oracle support.

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 30 22:14:09 UTC 2004

I hope this post saves someone some time.  I also hope it hasn't been posted
a million times before, if so, I just suck with Google.

Preface:
You have to compile from source because the FC binaries do not include the
Oracle plugin.  The binaries from the Tora homepage do include the Oracle
plugin, but they don't come compiled with KDE support or anti-aliased
fonts...ugly.

Installation:
1)  Install (via yum so it gets all the dependencies):
    qt-devel
    kdebase-devel
2)  Download (www.oracle.com) and install
    oracle-instantclient-basic
    oracle-instantclient-devel
    oracle-instantclient-sqlplus
3)  cd /usr/lib/oracle/$VERSION/client/lib
    ln -s libclntsh.so.10.1 libclntsh.so
4)  Download the Tora source and unpack it into /usr/local/src
5)  cd /usr/local/src/tora-1.3.14.1
6)  Edit configure.pl.  Insert on line 1049:
    $Includes=&addInclude($Includes,""."/usr/include/oracle/10.1.0.3/client");
7)  export ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/$VERSION/client
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
8)  ./configure
9)  Edit Makefile.  Comment out line 332:
    include $(ORACLE_HOME)/rdbms/lib/env_rdbms.mk
10) make && make install

God, what a pain!  Why doesn't someone maintain the Oracle plugin for Tora
for FC3?