Sendmail and DNS for two machines.

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Dec 30 22:51:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 13:19:31 -0800,
  Don <fedora at greatoasis.com> wrote:
> Bruno,
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Yes I have a reason, it is, I want to transition all my accounts, email,
> passwords, web space and DNS from one machine to another with little or no
> interruption.  One machine is running RH7.2 and the new one is running FC3.
>
> I am setting up the new one with one IP address, and when it is ready I
> will switch it to the original IP.
>
> I have never done this before, and have limited experience, (though I did
> setup my sendmail, DNS, and httpd sever and few years ago, I know just
> enough to get in trouble).
>
> I have sendmail running on both machines.
>
> All info help, thank you for your time and attention,  is there any more
> info that I should send to you to help me out?
> Don

My recommendation would be to move all of the accounts over at once.
Schedule a maintainance window and copy over the mailboxes and home
directories (if applicable) from the old machine to the new one and
change the IP address of the new machine. You should be able to practice
this in advance to see if there are any problems.