Accessing hosted domains inside a LAN

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Dec 31 16:35:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 10:16, Bob Brennan wrote:

> >Are you using named-based virtual hosts?
>
> Yes I have set up named-based virtual hosts in the Apache config file.
>
> >If so, you should set up a
> >split DNS in Bind 9 where internal hosts are given the internal IP
> >addresses of the servers, and external hosts are given the external
> >addresses.
>
> Linux-webhost-semi-newbie: Could you explain how/where to do that
> please?

Sanity check first:
Do you have a NAT gateway so you have to access the server with
a different IP number from inside clients?  Try putting the
inside number in an entry for the server name in /etc/hosts
on a test client machine.  If that works and you only have
a small number of inside clients you can copy the hosts file
around.  If you have enough machines to make this impractical
then you need to work with DNS.  There is an alternative to
views there as well unless you have to use the same DNS server
for internal and external users.  If they can be separate servers,
just point the internal machines at a server that you configure
as primary for the domain in question and loaded with the internal
host addresses.  You can maintain that with webmin if you don't
want to edit the files directly.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com