Accessing hosted domains inside a LAN

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Dec 31 17:07:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 10:54, Bob Brennan wrote:
> The server is static IP = 10.0.010 and is the only Linux machine, all
> others on the LAN are Windoze DHCP addressed. The router has a
> real-world static IP from my ISP. I have a NAT entry in the router to
> send all port 80 traffic to 10.0.0.10
>
> >Try putting the
> >inside number in an entry for the server name in /etc/hosts
> >on a test client machine.
>
> All clients are different flavors of Windoze, so no can do(?)

Windows have an equivalent.  On Win2K it is hidden at
\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
and you should be able to find it with a search on other flavors.

> >If that works and you only have
> >a small number of inside clients you can copy the hosts file
> >around. If you have enough machines to make this impractical
> >then you need to work with DNS. There is an alternative to
> >views there as well unless you have to use the same DNS server
> >for internal and external users.
>
> The DNS server for all machines is the ISP's (at the moment)

That means you can either add your own local DNS server set
up with local addresses, leaving the public service up to
the ISP or adjust everyone's host file.  If there are more
than a few clients, maintaining distributed hosts files
can be painful.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com