Network Printer - Help too please

tonydm inbox at mariosmaintenance.com
Fri Dec 31 20:33:15 UTC 2004

Terry Polzin wrote:

 > On Thursday December 30 2004 20:46, tonydm wrote:
 >

 >> Hi all,
 >>
 >> I too have a network printer problem.  I cannot seem to get a printer
 >> configured and work.  All of my windoze boxes print to the print server
 >> fine.  Before taking FC3 for a test drive, I had Mandrake 10 installed.
 >>  Configured a printer no problem.  Was printing in minutes.
 >>
 >> Intel NetportExpress 10/100 - ip 172.16.0.100
 >> HP Laserjet 4000
 >>
 >> 1) what to I need to enable (protocol) on the print server?
 >> 2) what kind of network printer type (CUPS-IPP, UNIX-LPD, WINDOWS-SMB,
 >> etc), do I need to setup?
 >> 3) can I use the default hplj4000 postscript driver?  The screen says
 >> "recommended"
 >>

 > system-config-printer
 >
 > select networked jetdirect as quque type
 > run this command as root.

Printer is online!! :)

But I feel like such an idiot.  I don't recall setting up the printer
with Jetdirect under Mandrake.  I did recall directing it to the ip
address at port 9100.  My problem was I was trying to set it up with
everything EXCEPT Jetdirect under FC3.  I thought "it couldn't be this
because I don't have a Jetdirect server".   Thanks for the education.

tonydm