New Installation

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Wed Feb 4 04:09:53 UTC 2004

Jim Carlson wrote:
> For those interested, using 'linux text' is under way and working to get my
> installation completed.
>
> I am not sure how to apply influence, or offer a suggestion, but it would
> have been nice for the install to recognize the problem with running X and
> rather than telling me it was safe to "you may safely reboot your system" it
> could ask if I wanted to perform a 'linux text" install instead.
>
> If nothing more than -
>
> "if this message is seen during initial installation it is safe to reboot
> and at the boot prompt type 'linux text'"
>
> would have given me a heads up to what was going wrong.

File a Bugzilla report !! An RFE maybe. (Request For Enhancement)

BTW, the release-notes at fedora.redhat.com has info about possible
problems with graphical install, and the use of 'linux text' as well
as nofb for LCD equiped machines.

> My next question is now that I have done a linux text install happening, do
> I only have a command line interface or will KDE or GNOME work?

The 'linux text' tells the installer to run non-graphical, you still
get the same choices as graphical install mode. If you choose a
default install, X will be there.

X may not work, in which case you might need to fiddle a bit. If the
system tries to start in X, and fails you can try :

'ctr alt f2' to get a terminal
Type 'telinit 3'  to go to run level 3
Type 'redhat-config-xxfree86 --reconfig' to start the X configuration
tool.

Hopefully, a good X config will result. telinit 5 will then go to run
level 5 and start X for you.

Good luck,
Cheers,
Michael