i386 vs SRPMS iso image difference? - newbie question

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Feb 14 20:22:51 UTC 2004

David Hunt wrote:

> I have downloaded and installed Fedora using the i386 iso images. That
> worked very nicely.
> I also downloaded the SRPMS images, but didn't appear to need them.
> What are the SRPMS images for?
> Can anyone really quickly tell me the difference between the i386 and
> SRPMS iso images?

The SRPMS images contain the source packages . You only need them if you
need/want to recompile a given program. However , you can always
download the source rpm for that single program on the net..

> Also, how do I know what kind of processor I've got?
> I am running an Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz processor. Is that i386, i486,
> i586, or i686?
> Would it make any difference to try recompiling the kernel for the
> correct processor type?
> If so, dare I ask how that is done?

Pentium 4 is a 686 processor. Probably the kernel you are already
running is i686 optimized... If not , install the
kernel-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl.i686.rpm (available on all mirrors in the
update section). This helps increase performance , but I dont know how
much  would be the performance gains (I always run optimized kernels ,
so I dont have any base to compare to generic i386 kernels).

Pedro Macedo