New Apache License?

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Feb 24 05:08:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:17:01 +0000 Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
> Both statements contain conclusions derived from absurd assumptions.

> As anyone with a little bit of logic bases can understand, from the
> absurd any conclusion may be drafted.

explain what's absurd. i think my interpretation is fairly derived from
mysql ab's own public statements:

http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html

> RedHat actually sells A LOT of GPL'ed software, so it is being sold
> *Commercially*.

redhat sells DISTRIBUTIONS which include GPL'ed software.

> What MySQL AB did was:

>    If you want to make a *Proprietary* application, then you have to buy
> a special license.

>    This change resulted that you _CAN'T_ make proprietary softwar
> derived from GPL'ed Libraries.

NO.

the change with 4.1 is that the libraries are now GPL rather than LGPL.
this means that from 4.1 you can't even LINK without being forced to the
GPL (or else buying a commercial license.) derivation is NOT the same
as linking as i understand copyright law.

it's a very substantial change, which will likely have the net effect of
causing businesses to look at PostgreSQL and Firebird, neither of
which are encumbered by this oddball commercial/free license split.

>    HOWEVER, of course you can sell (commercial distribution) GPL'ed
> software.

DISTRIBUTE, not sell. the GPL has always indicated that you can charge
a distribution fee, but the GPL'd software has to somehow be available
in source form at no charge (an ftp site being the usual way of doing this.)

> MySQL AB basically said nobody can use MySQL libraries for non-Free
> Software.

you really need to work on the precision of your language.

the way that MySQL AB interprets the licensing from 4.1 on is that proprietary
software can use MySQL under the GPL, so long as it is not redistributed
(even within an organization.) the instant redistribution occurs, MySQL AB
wants it to be GPL'ed or they want the user to buy a commercial license.

given that the FSF understood things well enough to bother to create the
LGPL to support commercial software that links to GPL'd software, i'll stand
by my position that this licensing change is a bit much.

> They also changed their license to be compatible with most php-based
> software by adding a special permit to link with PHP licensed under the
> PHP License version 3

only under pressure. the PHP community was quite prepared to ditch
MySQL.

richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net