FC1 as a server

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 26 15:28:29 UTC 2004

Michael Gargiullo wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 10:14, WipeOut wrote:
>

>>Michael Gargiullo wrote:

>>>We actually use it in several dozen servers without incident.  We maybe
>>>the exception though.  We also run the SMP kernel without a problem.  We
>>>have it running on dual AMD systems, Dual Intel, and Dual Intel Xeon
>>>boxes.  We did have one boot problem on the dual xeon box, but we have
>>>it running on one of the mail gateways, and it handles everything
>>>nicely.
>>>

>>Have you done either a minimum install or a full install??
>>
>>My minimum install is stable with SMP but my workstation install is not..
>>

>Interesting, I've got 12 machine across the country running with a
>minimal installation (They run dhcpd, ntp, tftp, and perl scripts in
>cron)
>
>I have a mail server that started with a minimal install, but exim was
>added, as was spamassassin, and clamscan.
>
>I guess I always start with minimal installation, and only add the
>functions I need the box to run.

Yea, thats how I would think servers should be, start with minimum
install and then add only whats needed.. It is still strange that SMP
appears to be stable on minimally installed systems while workstations
and desktops seem to hang..

Then there are people who have installed "everything" who say their
systems are stable.. its definately weird..