bootable iso

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Sat Feb 28 01:37:39 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 00:27, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 12:12:24AM +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > Dear Linux friends,
> >
> > I have an existing bootable [win based] disk that I have created.
> > It contains a 1.44mb bootable dos disk with menus created using a combo
> > of the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. I have the iso of the disk on
> > hdd. I would like to mount it make some changes and then re burn it to
> > cd. I know how to mount and read the contents but can I actaully replace
> > files.
> > I need to do this but dont have a win box to do it on as I have loaded
> > FC1 on my box.
> > Any-one know where I can find the command. I cant find one with rw
> > options.
> > this is the command I use to mount:
> >  mount -o loop -w -t iso9660 /mnt/backup/isos/win98se.iso /mnt/winiso/
> >

> As far as I know the CD-ROM file system is read only. The work around
> is: read the files into a suitable directory ("cp -rp /mnt/winiso/*
> /new/directory/somewhere/" [ -rp to copy recursively and preserve
> permissions]), edit at will. Then create a new ISO image from the
> contents of that directory.
>
> You may find the following a useful guide if you can read my shell
> script hacking: http://www.charlescurley.com/buildiso.html. You will
> want to replace the boot disk image with a suitable Mess-DOS boot
> image. Once you've done that, xcdroast is your friend.

Ok lets me try this senario,
I have a copy of the existing cd. I created an image on the hdd, I
mounted the iso to a tmp folder and have extracted all the files to a
tmp dir. is there a way to extract the bootable img from the iso and
reuse it to recreate the cd with the now updated files in the tmp
folder?

maddy