new FC multimedia installation HOWTO at www.tldp.org

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Sun Feb 1 14:12:15 UTC 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:32:00 -0500 (EST), Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   esr has a new FC MM howto at
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Fedora-Multimedia-Installation-HOWTO/index.html
>
>   i'm sure there other formats/features that readers here can add to
> what's already there, no?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Fedora-Multimedia-Installation-HOWTO/x100.html

    1. List the Fedora and livna.org sites before other outside sites,
    so they'll get checked first.

That won't work as all enabled repositories are checked, and of packages
with the same name, the one with the highest epoch:version-release wins.
So, I stick to my recommendation of a sane set of repositories:

  Fedora Core + Updates
  + fedora.us stable [+ testing] [+ unstable]
  + rpm.livna.org stable [+ testing] [+ unstable]
  + macromedia.mplug.org

And optionally get individual packages from other repositories. But take
care that no upgrades to Core or packages from above repositories are
performed, because releases at fedora.us and livna.org have not been
tested with packages from other repositories.