Is rhythmbox this useless??

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Sun Feb 1 21:18:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:16:37 +0000
WipeOut <wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I noticed that the default media player has been changed to
> Rhythmbox.. So far its proving to be really useless..
>
> Firstly it would not run and crapped out all the time.. So I looked
> through the archives and it looked like the way to go was to get the
> freshrpms version, so I installed that and all its deps and the mp3
> codec..
>
> Now it runs.. Great!!..
>
> Only problem is that it is now playing the tracks to fast which makes
> the sound really bad as you can imagine..
>
> Is there a solution to getting it to work properly or is it easier to
> just switch back to xmms that to have to fight with this new one..
>
> Later..

When I was trying to configure/use rhythmbox a while ago, I faced the
same probl. I was using ALSA driver (set via gstreamer-properties), and
I learned on IRC that ALSA support on rhythmbox still needs lots of
improvement, and I've been told to use OSS for the 'default sink'
option, and this indeed fixed the playback speed, maybe this could work
for you too.

However, now that I configured ALSA to do sound-mixing, rhythmbox
complains that /dev/dsp device is in use if I use OSS, and can't open a
valid PCM device if I try ALSA. So, I fell back to xmms, too.

Best,

Andre

BTW: It took me a while to configure ALSA to do sound mixing, and the
nice folks at FedoraNEWS.ORG were kind enough to host a brief
description of the road I took, you can find it at
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/andre_costa/alsa
(lots of other good stuff there, very nice site to get FC going IMHO)

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa