Memory Consumption

Julien Tane jta at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Feb 2 00:15:20 UTC 2004

fred smith wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 07:51:46PM +0100, Julien Tane wrote:
>

>>Hello Fred,
>>
>>thanks a lot. I had been wondering in the last days.  I mean this is O.K
>>now... But Can it be that some useless things are cached or buffered.
>>
>>Is there a way to find out what  is buffered or cached ( or perhaps tell
>>which application buffer and cache so much ?).
>>

>It's not an app that buffers or caches stuff, it's the Linux kernel.
>it recognizes that certain things are being used multiple times and
>stores them in otherwise unused memory for convenient future access.
>It'll discard cached stuff or write to disk bufferd stuff whenever
>it needs to, should it need to free up memory in the future.
>
>You don't need to worry about this large amount of buffer/cache causing
>you to run out of memory,... it won't, as per above.

It sounds like magic. I think it would be too much to explain this
here... But I do not like not understanding what  and how. If you have
any hint about where I could find more information on the implementation
( even the file in the kernel which take care of that or anything
technical). I would be happy. If not I am already very greatful for the
answers.

Cheer,
Julien