I think it's OSS

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Feb 2 04:11:54 UTC 2004

WipeOut wrote:
> Only problem is that it is now playing the tracks to fast which makes
> the sound really bad as you can imagine..

Same problem here, but I think it's the OSS sound driver.  ogg123 has the
same problem with OSS (sometimes OSS can't even play the streams I picked),
but when I switch to ESD (the Enlightenment Sound Daemon), the same Ogg
Vorbis files and streams play correctly.  Therefore, I suspect OSS not the
sound hardware.

XMMS works well for me because I had already set that to use ESD.  When I
set it to OSS, XMMS fails in the same way Rhythmbox did.

On different sound hardware, OSS might work better but on an Intel 82801DB
AC'97 (i810_audio driver), some things simply don't work on OSS.