Link 2 computers thanks to a "crossed" network cable

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano.brunetti at fastwebnet.it
Mon Feb 2 08:46:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 09:24, Michael Kearey wrote:
> Coume - Lubox.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been using Fedora Core 1 since it came out, but there is still
> > one thing that I cannot manage to get working :(
> > I cannot manage to create a network between my linux laptop and another
> > computer under windows (or linux). It was working fine with Mandrake :(
> >
> > I'm able to log onto the university network and then access the
> > Internet.
> > BUT if I connect my laptop directly to another computer thanks to a
> > "crossed" network cable, I cannot get the computers to "speak" together.
> >
> > Is one of you managed to plug 2 computers like that??

Hi,

in my case it worked like a charm. I have a box with two nics, and one
is for a pc-to-pc connection with a crossover cable. I am using static
ip, you may check if yours is a config problem.

The only problem i've ever had with crossover was when trying to connect
two laptops. One had a old pcmcia nic (a 16 bit something...) that
wouldn't autonegotiate speed links: it wold set on 100Mbps but wouldn't
receive any packet, so i had to manually put it on 10Mbps to make it
work. AS far as i tracked out that problem, seemed to be a buggy driver
and some kind of extremely unconventional pcmcia card.

HTH

E.