Fewer partitions are better (Re: Disk Layout/Partitioning Practices)

Bob Marcan bob at interstudio.homeunix.net
Mon Feb 2 09:23:29 UTC 2004

dballester at kernpharma.com wrote:
> You are requesting about Logical Volume Manager ( LVM )
>
> Exist in Linux, runs very well  ( My laptop runs with LVM ) :D
>

> Note:
> "Windows 2000 can do something similar, can Linux do this?"
>
> I prefer to say: "HP-UX, AIX, Tru64 can do something similar when I was a
> child, can Linux do this?" ;)

With so big disks today (or with LVM, LSM on Tru64) i'm looking for the
opposite.

On Tru64 with advfs file system you can have partition and inside
multiple file sets. Each file set is (looks like) a separate file
system. Backups can be done with the vdump and vrestore.

More from:
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARH96DTE/TITLE.HTM
1.3.1    Filesets, Domains, and Volumes
A fileset follows the logical structure of a traditional UNIX file
system. It is a hierarchy of directory names and file names, and it is
what you mount on your system. AdvFS goes beyond the traditional file
system by allowing you to create multiple filesets that share a common
pool of storage called a domain. See Section 1.4.1 for information about
configuring an AdvFS file system and Section 2.4 for information about
fileset operation.

A domain represents the physical storage layer. It is managed separately
from the directory structure. You can add or remove volumes without
affecting the directory structure. See Section 2.3 for information about
domain management.

Does anyone else can do this? :-)

Regards, Bob
  Bob Marcan                     mailto:bob.marcan at hermes-plus.si
  Aster^H^H...HermesPlus^H^H^H...S&T
  Slandrova ul. 2                       tel:    +386 (1) 5895-200
  1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia              http://www.hermes-plus.si