Link 2 computers thanks to a "crossed" network cable

Chris Hewitt fedlist at manordat.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 09:50:03 UTC 2004

Coume - Lubox.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have been using Fedora Core 1 since it came out, but there is still
>one thing that I cannot manage to get working :(
>I cannot manage to create a network between my linux laptop and another
>computer under windows (or linux). It was working fine with Mandrake :(
>
>I'm able to log onto the university network and then access the
>Internet.
>BUT if I connect my laptop directly to another computer thanks to a
>"crossed" network cable, I cannot get the computers to "speak" together.
>
>Is one of you managed to plug 2 computers like that??
>
>Thanks in advance
>Regards,
>Ludovic

Yes, I do. In my case most of my network is on coax cable but I have a
new "work" computer with only RJ45, so a second NIC card in a linux box
enables me to use it as a router between the two networks.

I think we might need some more details on exactly what you are trying
to do to help.

Regards

Chris