lilo on promise's PDC20267 raid controller

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Feb 2 14:45:13 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 02.02.2004 schrieb Dariusz Zmokly um 12:47:
> Hi!
>
> I installed Fedora and everything works fine except lilo. When I want to
> install new kernel and type 'lilo' I see
>
> [root at godoko bezu]# lilo
> Fatal: Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0x7201
>
> So I have to move one of hdd disks to another computer without the Promise's
> controler, install new lilo configuration on that box, then move this hdd
> back to the first box.
>
> I read somewhere that it may be caused by old version of lilo (mine is 21.4.4)
> so I downloaded latest one: lilo-22.5.8.tar.gz. It isn't documented very well
> so I just typed './QuickInst' and got:
>
> "QuickInst configures LILO and installs it on your hard disk. It should only
> be used for first-time installations, _not_ to update or modify an existing
> installation of LILO. It will _not_ generate a valid installation with
> versions of LILO below 22."
>
> Hmm, I am not sure what to do. I could try install this lilo version by hand
> but this could be very bad idea. Could you give me some guidance?
>
> Thank you ;)
> Dariusz Zmokly

You know
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/pdf/ATA-RAID-HOWTO.pdf?

But I can not recommend to use the pseudo raid feature offered by the
controller chip. I did tests with PDC20265 using the Promise driver and
the kernel driver and with both performance of a Raid0 array with 2 fast
80GB WD drives was poor. Less transfer rates than each drive as single.
So better use software raid.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 15:42:28 up 2 days, 14:42, load average: 0.34, 0.22, 0.10
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]