idiot database flamewars

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 2 15:47:34 UTC 2004

Chadley Wilson said:
> Just to clarify how the system works,
> The app is called Xalt you wont know of it because it is written for our
> company.
> It is installed simply by copying files from the mapped U drive to
> c:\swacc . straight forward with wine and it works.
> Now for database connectivity you have to install client connectivity
> for windows (I have tried installing it in wine, but it doesn't work. I
> just don´t know what to do in this instance. If it will just connect to
> the database server the rest will be done by Xalt. Xalt is also 95%
> server based so the only thing the client PC handles is the running of
> the front end.

So, if I understand your question correctly it has nothing to do with
database connectivity for Linux.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't
your question be better asked:

How do I get a custom Windows app (Xalt) _via Wine_ to talk to the DB?

It's more of a Wine question than anything else, because you need the Wine
bits to let Xalt talk to the database, not get Fedora to talk to the
database.  Have you tried a Wine list with the question of installing the
"client connectivity for windows"?

--
William Hooper