Need help diagnosing why Mozilla won't start for my user.

Patrick Bennett patrick.bennett at inin.com
Mon Feb 2 17:04:43 UTC 2004

Clint Harshaw wrote:

> try "strace mozilla" at your user prompt to see if there is something
> in the output to tell you what's going on.

Bingo - it took a while to spot it, but there was a permission denied
error getting logged in the strace output (not shown if run normally
from a term window).  It wasn't able to access
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.4.1/chrome/mozgest/content/mozgestOverlay.xul (which
was set to 0600).  I'm guessing the update to the newer Mozilla (via
up2date - run as root) didn't set the permissions correctly.
Either that, or the install of the optimoz mouse gestures plugin changed
something as well.
Thanks for the great suggestion.  :)

Cheers...