modem & soundcard detection

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Mon Feb 2 23:55:07 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 02.02.2004 schrieb Edward Diamond um 23:20:
> I have a ASUS P4PE motherboard with onboard sound production via an 'ADI
> AD1980 AC '97 audio CODEC',

Usually this _should_ be autodeteced I think. As root:

# lspci
should give you something similar to this
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
Sound Controller (rev a0)

Then you try to load the proper module, e g.

# /sbin/modprobe ac97-codec

If this works you can add the module to /etc/modules.conf or insert it
with "modprobe" to automatically load on startup.

>  and an intel 536EP modem in PCI slot 2.

Don't know. What is the output if lspci for the modem? If it is a so
called winmodem it's a little tricky, see http://www.linmodems.org/ for
more info.

Driver RPMs for some winmodems with fedora are here
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/ and
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/kernel-module-hsfmodem/

Good look, most winmodems are supported now I think. BTW: I even have a
winmodem that works with win98 and 2000, but not with XP! Works fine
with fedora though.

Christoph