Upgrading Production line PCs

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 3 01:33:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:11:24PM +0000, Paul Thomas wrote:

> I mean dump == replace. This link might give you some ideas of the issues
> involved:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-docs/2001-09/msg00013.php

Manager folk that are on this list should think about the risks of
vendor specific applications.

Database and many other applications commonly include vendor specific
extensions that tie you to down.  Once you are tied to a vendor your
list of options gets shorter, expenses go up and your leverage to get
something fixed shrinks.  ALL software has these issues, open software
helps because things are not hidden.

Standards are your friend.

For the initial poster there is not enough information to respond.

There are a couple of components:
	user interface
	backend database
	back end reporting
	back end backup

In some cases the "user interface" part can be scoped and addressed
quickly once you know how to access the "backend database".  It just
depends on the functionality, design and complexity.  I have see cases
where all the complexity and security was in the client.  Granting
"back end" access to a perl script quickly was trouble.

The "back end backup" may be the easy place to begin.  By backing up
the primary data to an alternate data base vendor product things like
"back end reporting" can be migrated to the mirror.  Backend backup,
mirroring and reporting efforts can clarify much of the data structure
issues and questions.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net