smb-shares

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Tue Feb 3 06:46:26 UTC 2004

> Am Fr, den 03.01.2003 schrieb Sturla Holm Hansen um 13:18:
[snip]
>> I'm having probles when using nautilus to browse smb-shares, either on
>> another linux-box or on a windoze-box, it takes ages to connect, then
>> I'm asked for a password and then it takes ages again.
[/snip]
1) Did you check out your samba-logs at /var/log/samba ? If you do top in
the shell of your samba-server (while trying to connect to your server)
which program is on top? how many % does it take?

2) Do you have some kind of antivirus-software enabled? i saw this effect
on my samba-server, when i used dazuko online-scanning. it took me up to 5
minutes, until i got a files-list. (was a kernel-module, not compiled in)

3) If there are network-errors, you should find them in /var/log/messages.
Have look, if you find some errors from your network (e.g. with a
misconfigured card eth0 or hostname or whatever...)

Roger

> Is there firewalling active? Check iptables rules for TCP and UDP.
>
> Post your smb.conf. Who is master browser?
>
> Is it a pure TCP network you are in or does there run any other
> protocols like IPX?
>
> Alexander
>

> --
> Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG key 1024D/ED695653 1999-07-13
> Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
> Sirendipity 17:40:29 up 2 days, 16:40, load average: 0.15, 0.12, 0.11
>                    [ Γνωθι σ'αÏ
τον - gnothi seauton ]