dot allowed adduser/useradd

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 3 12:05:52 UTC 2004

Balint Cristian wrote:

>Hi !
>
>	I already digged maillist, i understand why cannot be dot in the username
>while i "adduser", my Q is that if there is some workaround or some patch, i really need to allow dot in usernames
>it is to ugly to modify /etc/pass entry's.
>	I looket too at src.rpms i coud not figure out where to touch, i see no redhatish patch wich remove the dot feauture
>and in tarball is difficult to find out.
>
>Any sugestion ?
>
>cristian

I use dots in my user account names for email only users so they will be
able to login using firtsname.lastname which is our company convention..

The way I do it is to manage the user accounts through Webmin which has
no problem with dots or quite long names..

And there is the benefit that its web based and can manage nearly
everything on the server..

later..