dot allowed adduser/useradd

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 3 12:56:57 UTC 2004

Emiliano Brunetti wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 13:30, WipeOut wrote:
>

>>Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>>>For what reason should it be good to have dots in usernames to be
>>>allowed? Any real good reason?
>>>
>>>Dots are at least forbidden charactes in usernames and groupnames as
>>>chown will fail with such names.
>>>
>>>Alexander
>>>

>>My reason was to make it possible for a user with the email address
>>"first.last at domain.com", which is out company standard convention for
>>email addresses, to log into their mail box with "first.last".. That way
>>they don't get confused about their email address and user name (as
>>users often do).. These users do not log into the system shell as they
>>are only for mail..
>>

>Just for my own info, but couldn't this be solved by authenticating mail
>users in a different way? I used to do this by authenticating on mysql
>rahter than normal system auth, so that i had almost no local user on
>mail server. Of course this is not viabile if your users also need to
>log on the mail server for some reason.
>
>E.

Yes, I guess using a MySQL db would have been the best way but since RH
never provided the mail server componenets that were capable of
conneting and using a MySQL DB for the mail accounts and I don't trust
my abilities in building custom packages and keeping them updated when a
security problem is found I had to use system accounts for my mail users..

later..