Problem booting with Fedora on Software Raid

Marc Cluet marc at aibits.com
Tue Feb 3 15:00:20 UTC 2004

Hi fellow Fedora users :)
I'm upgrading my home samba server to a raid 1 software installation
with 2 identical hard disks.
I had fedora already installed on a 40Gb HD.

Steps that I followed:

- Boot into 40Gb disk and create raid volumes on new disks.
- Format new disks and mount them
- Copy all the information from the old disk to the new ones on raid1
using tar (with timestamp and all checkings needed)

After that I chrooted into the new installation and did a LILO install
(I'm using LILO for my raid setup since it's raid-friendlier)

Everything went fine but on reboot the kernel panicked due to the fact
that it didn't autodetect the raid volumes properly.

First the kernel tries to autodetect the raid volumes _before_ the
initrd ramdisk hits in, then after that the initrd disk enters and loads
the modules, resulting in the kernel panic problem.

Is there a way to delay autodetect or to force an autodetect on the
initrd ramdisk?

Thanks for your help