OT - How come the competition is getting it right

Chris A Czerwinski chrisczerwinski at cogeco.ca
Tue Feb 3 15:23:23 UTC 2004

Will Novell finally get it right this time and by listening to their
users? or Will RedHat drop the ball and forget us Red Hat Linux 9 as
Fedora is volatile, April is coming up very fast.
Is a stable version required to keep US users happy and the product
alive with eager supporters and the name Red Hat as good will or Will
inaction be the answer again?

Cut and paste...

Mandrake modifies release system
http://newsvac.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/02/02/1931213

jlguallar writes "(...) The new release road map:The spirit of the new
development road map is to keep providing a release similar to what was
released in the past, which will now be called "Mandrake Linux
Community." This is the regular Mandrake Linux distribution, based on
Cooker, which goes through the traditional QA process. But from now on,
a second 'rock-solid' version titled "Mandrake Linux Official" will be
released two or three months after Mandrake Linux Community. This new
version will include all Erratas applied to the initial release, and as
a result will be particularly solid and problem-free. The Community
release will be ideal for those who want the 'latest and greatest'
features as soon as available, while the second release will be perfect
for those who prefer to wait and avoid any potential glitches. (...)"

----

Is the competition listening to their users and finally seeing that the
linux desktop is finally reaching the masses and stability is now to be
considered as part of the ongoing process. We are also aware that there
are many transitional window users and newbie's who would like a stable
product once in awhile so that they can use the system rather than
tweaking it all the time. Base product is a good platform from where
developers know all good processes start form. So maybe it should be
that when the kernel, the new kernel comes out then 3-4 months later all
processes should catch up and be released and finally with all erratas
in another 3 months for the stable product to appear and now the new
base / benchmark has been put in place and we can now go back to work
with the business at hand.

Growing is part of maturity, and maturity is realizing when to grow
again on another level; as with life we find no real satisfaction or
happiness without obstacles to conquer and we know where to come back
when we need to restart.

Chris Cz