Spam filter?

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Tue Feb 3 15:45:15 UTC 2004

fedora-list-admin at redhat.com wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:33:45 +0000 Paul Furness
> <paul.furness at vil.ite.mee.com> wrote:
>
>> I thought of that, but the headers are a bit confusing. The FROM
>> header is saying "postmaster at redhat.com", but the originating mail
>> server isn't obviously one of theirs:

>> My guess is that Redhat (or whoever they buy their server space from)
>> was twiddling with their spam filter this morning and it went a bit
>> wrong for a while.
>
> on reflection, i think you're correct. someone installed a change
> without
> adequate lab testing beforehand. on the one hand, it's kind of sad, on
> the other hand, sometimes when people do that they pay me a lot of
> money to clean up the mess afterwards, which isn't so sad.

While this is possible, webmasters.com has been implicated in spammish
activities in the past.  They also seem to have a click-through affiliate
program, which makes it curious that the message (I got one too) tells
you to click through to their site to repost the message.

The redhat mx machines are in netspace near to webmasters (both in 66.
subnets -
66.118.156.0 - 66.118.157.255 for webmasters, 66.187.224.0 - 66.187.239.255
for
redhat), but this probably doesn't mean a thing.  What's the possibility
that
an address at webmasters is subscribed to the list, and trying to get
click-throughs?

 -Don