If apt-get crash

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 3 16:22:03 UTC 2004

Ccing the apt-rpm list

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:10:29AM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Sturla Holm Hansen wrote:
>
> > Hi, just had a wonderful experience with apt-get while running a
> > dist-upgrade....
> > It crashed after installing a couple of hundred packages, leaving my
> > system with dual installs of those packages.
>
> Urgh.. that sounds seriously ugly: if you end up with dual installs of
> packages it basically means that rpm post% failed for each of those. While
> an occasional %post failures do happen due to bad scriptlets and such it's
> not a healthy sign if hundreds of packages are failing that way.

I have seen that, too. For example if there is a file conflict between
two packages, it resultes in the apt operation to abort after
finishing the "Preparing... " stage leaving *all* packages doubled
(with an E: Error while running transaction).

Maybe that has to do with the new rpmlib semantics used? This is apt
0.5.15cnc5 on rpm 4.2.1.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de