dot allowed adduser/useradd

Mike Lurk mike.lurk at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 3 18:35:17 UTC 2004

Message: 24
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:03:19 +0000
From: WipeOut <wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net>
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: dot allowed adduser/useradd

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Di, den 03.02.2004 schrieb WipeOut um 13:30:
>

>>Alexander Dalloz wrote:

patch, i really need to allow dot in usernames
see no redhatish patch wich remove the dot feauture

>>>For what reason should it be good to have dots in usernames to be
>>>allowed? Any real good reason?
>>>
>>>Dots are at least forbidden charactes in usernames and groupnames as
>>>chown will fail with such names.
>>>
>>>Alexander
>>>

>>My reason was to make it possible for a user with the email address
>>"first.last at domain.com", which is out company standard convention for
>>email addresses, to log into their mail box with "first.last".. That
way
>>they don't get confused about their email address and user name (as
>>users often do).. These users do not log into the system shell as they
>>are only for mail..
>>
>>Is that a good enough reason?
>>
>>later..
>>

>Hi :)
>
>I do not think it is a valuable reason. People can use mail addresses
in
>the form of "first.last at domain.tld" without need for dotted login names
>in the system. They are confused about login name being "flast" instead
>of "first.last"? How often do they have to refill their login data into
>mail programs? Users not able to fill in authentication data should not
>be allowed to send mail at all. ;/ It's fairly common to use "flast"
for
>authentification and "first.last@" in mail addresses. You see my mail
>address? What do you think is my login name to the university mail
>system? :)
>
>Did you ever create a mailbox in cyrus-imapd with first.last as mailbox
>name?
>
>Alexander

ROTFL... I agree with you that if you can't login your shouldn't be
allowed email but that does not help the company does it.. :)

They log into their webmail wich is why they need to know they own name
and password..

I also think that if you can't re-install your own OS when it screws up
you shouldn't be allowed to use a PC but they still sell them by the
truckload to people who understand a cricket bat better than a
calculator.. ;)

Later..

A little off topic here but here it goes.....

Anyone trying to purchase a new computer, or working for a company that
is using a OS that is new to this person, should get a license to drive.

Realistically someone trying to buy a computer should take a course in
whatever operating system they want to try. Tired if hearing "I didn't
do anything". Can you tell I am a tech :).

I have been in the computer field for the last 13 years. So much has
changed. You have to take computer courses every year just to keep up
with the changes, or do a lot of research and play with everything. If
it breaks reinstall or try to find out what you did to break it and try
to fix it on your own, with a little help from google. It's the best way
to learn. Unless you have tons of money to throw away at going to
classes to become an MCSE or a LCE. Many might disagree but hands on is
a quicker teacher.

What i am trying to say is new users take a basic course in what ever
operating system you want to try. Don't create anything you probably
will loose because of the multiple reinstalls, or because of mistakes or
blunders. Or do as I do, a separate partition for the home directory.

I might be a little harsh here but we did not tell you had to pick
Linux. Do a lot of research, if all else fails check here.

A lot to say for a simple problem, sorry.

Mike

P.S: I am just a little ticked. New users bah humbug. Break and learn
:).