SSH Display Problem

Gunnar vS Kramm gkramm at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 3 18:45:19 UTC 2004

Original e-mail from: Mike Chepesky (pesky1229 at hotmail.com):

> I have a problem relating to SSH and how it handles the creation of new
> xterm windows. I have an account at my school, and I can log in via SSH
> using "ssh -l login_name server_name". When in the labs on campus, there is
> an X Windows environment, and when certain programs are run (e.g. Matlab,
> emacs), another xterm window will be created.
>
> However, when I log in remotely using the above command, and run "matlab"
> or "emacs", the system just seems to hang, not creating a new xterm window.
> I looked around for a solution, and it seemed that it might be in the
> /etc/ssh/ssh_config file. However, this is read-only and cannot be
> modified, nor can the permissions be changed using chmod. Any suggestions?
>
> Mike

It might be that the admins of you server on campus have configured sshd to
not allow X11 forwarding.

it's the X11 forwarding that allows your ssh client connection to send X11
connections back across your ssh connection to your computer.  If the
admins have turned it off you are out of luck.

If you are curious you can see what the configuration looks like on your
server (assuming you are running sshd that is) look in sshd_config for the line
X11Forwarding yes
or
X11Forwarding no

--