Anyone using Win4Lin from Netraverse with Fedora

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Feb 3 21:51:38 UTC 2004

Frank Lipski wrote:
> I have used Win4Lin for several years with various versions of Redhat
> including 9.  I just installed Fedora and the online installer is saying
> no compatible kernel found.
>
> Netraverse shows via faq that is works with core release 1, but now
> details.
>
> This seems to be a very active list so I thought someone out there would
> be using Win4Lin with Fedora.
>
> Thanks, Frank

I am using Win4Lin with FC1.  I had to patch and recompile the kernel,
but I had other things to patch anyway.  There are instructions on the
Netraverse site that work pretty well.  Be sure to configure grub so
you can boot both the old and the new kernel, and set those version
numbers!  I remember there were some issues of the right patch versus
the almost right patch, but no details.  My Win4Lin source directory
(I made a separate one, of course) is: /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.W4L
and the patch files I used are called  mki-adapter_1_2_9.patch and
Kernel-Win4Lin3-Fedora1.0_2.4.22.12115.patch .  I hope that helps.

Recompiling the kernel is scary until you do it once or twice.  Then
it is merely annoying, coupled with the perverse satisfaction that
"da man" doesn't want you to be able to recompile kernels.  So do it!

Perhaps one of the things that belongs in an FC1 FAQ are the instructions
for figuring out which flavor of kernel off the distro disk you are
running, then building a .config file that exactly reconstructs an
identical kernel.  A tiny step to be sure, but being able to duplicate
the kernel would be a great first step for cautious newbies learning
to patch kernels.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993