gui config's hosed up

Paul unix at bikesn4x4s.com
Wed Feb 4 03:23:01 UTC 2004

my service config gui lockes up when I start vsftpd, but I can see it's
running.  After I kill it then the gui comes out of lock and says it
started fine (but I just killed it).  But the gui says "vsftpd dead but
subsys locked" in the status window.  So I just start stop it manually and
works find that way:

[root at blabla root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd start
Starting vsftpd for vsftpd:                                [  OK  ]
[root at blabla root]# pgrep -l ftp
12346 vsftpd
[root at blabla root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd stop
Shutting down vsftpd:                                      [  OK  ]
[root at blabla root]# pgrep -l ftp

I've tried some google fixes, but nothing so far.  I've also tried deleting
entries in /var/lock/subsys, still no good.   Also my httpd gui won't come
up, I get an "unknown error".  Same results if I start it from command line.
This is all after upgrading from RH9 to Feodra.  Any ideas?  Thanks.