Grub not starting Windows

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Feb 4 03:27:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 14:12, antonio montagnani wrote:
> Gertjan Vinkesteijn wrote:
>
> > antonio montagnani wrote:
> >
> >> On one of my systems (Windows 2000+Fedora) suddenly Windows is not
> >> starting from start-up menu at boot (Fedora is running fine)
> >> Any suggestion??? Shall I have to clean MBR and re-install Grub??
> >> Grub.conf seems not to be corrupted.
> >>
> >> TNX
> >>

> > Yes, change over to LILO, here is an example of an /etc/lilo.conf file:
> >
> > boot = /dev/hda
> > prompt
> > timeout=50
> > delay = 40
> > #default=Win2000
> > default=linux
> > lba32
> > compact
> > vga = 791
> > read-only
> >
> > image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-xfs
> >     append="hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
> >     root=/dev/hdc2
> >         label = linux
> >     initrd = /boot/initrd-2.4.25-xfs.img
> >
> > other = /dev/hda1
> >      label = Win2000
> >      table = /dev/hda
> >
> Any reason to switch from Grub to Lilo?? I understand that Grub is the
> standard boot loader for FC1...shall a fresh installation of grub fix
> the problem???

	GRUB is now default for a good variety of reasons, not the least of
which is it is easier to configure.

	I believe that your problems have more to do with the windows
partition, as you stated that it happened suddenly, I assume that
recently, you could boot into either Fedora or Win.

	Think back to the last time you were in windows.  Did you do any
deleting of files in the C: drive? how about a bad crash?

	Did you edit the Grub config file?  Please post your
/boot/grub/menu.lst also send the results of df run from terminal (as
root) and finally run fdisk -l /dev/hda will be necessary if we are
going to be able to tell you how to fix this.

Scott