User Linux

Vincent pros-n-cons at bak.rr.com
Wed Feb 4 05:35:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:26:21 -0500
James Drabb <JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> He does have some good points.  Linux is starting to cost MORE then a MS
> solution.  What Free version of Linux can I use that is supported by
> vendors?  I don't need paid support.  Basically, I have to spend $1,000s
> on RHEL or SuSE EL.  I do like FC and have been using it at home since
> the beginning of Fedora.  However, IMO, it is not stable enough for a
> production system since it is constantly being developed.  Also, I don't
> know why RH gets their "Enterprise" versions certified and not Fedora.
> Doesn't RH have total control over FC?  IMO, the best and most fair
> thing for RH to do would be to have a "base Red Hat Linux" that gets
> certified and then have different versions based on that.  There would
> be the certified and free/community supported Fedora.  Red Hat does not
> offer any updates or services for this version.  Then there could be the
> paid versions that have updates and different levels of support up to
> Enterprise grade 24x7 support.  This seems more fair to me since Red Hat
> is based on tons of software that they did not develop and RH now has a
> lot of free Fedora volunteers doing work for them that they can roll
> into their "Enterprise" line.

 Red Hat gives all the code away free of charge just like users do. Why exactly
are they required to do more for us than anyone else? Because they have money?
They just had thier first profit last quarter ever and that appears to be direcly
attributed to its new sales model.

> Most companies can get MS Windows rolled out cheaper then Red Hat/SuSE
> Linux and Linux IS FREE!  It seems like RH and SuSE are turning Linux
> into an OS that is no longer a cost effective alternative to MS and now
> only a cost effective alternative to expensive Unix.

 This is true it is getting to be more expensive which sucks, But on the
other hand it is also getting to be a better product than Windows in many areas.

> I know it sounds like I am coming down on Red Hat, though I do want to
> state that I have used RH Linux for a long time now and find it the best
> Linux distro to use.  I just am not happy how RH dumped the home user
> and the small business user.  Even on the RH web site, they make Fedora
> sound like a toy to tinker with compared to Red Hat "Enterprise" Linux.

That is kind of the point isn't it? RH can't be everything to everyone, They
tried that and it didn't work. So they are trying to get us to make a decision.
do we want new software, or stable software? When you mix them its hard to get
either.

> http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> "If you require a reliable, secure, high-performance platform designed
> for today's business environment, then the next step is to choose the
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux version for your specific workloads and usage."
>
> The Fedora Project
> "If your interest in Red Hat Linux is to interact with the Linux
> community and contribute to the development of a general purpose
> operating system from free software, then the Fedora Project is for
> you."
>

> Now What IT manager is going to ever choose to use Fedora.  What small
> business is ever going to choose to use Fedora with statements like the
> above.  To me it sounds like RHEL is secure and stable while Fedora is
> not.
>
> Also, RH no longer has a Linux available that is cost effective compared
> to MS.  You can get MS Windows XP home for $99, while Red Hat
> Professional Workstation is around $110.  MS Windows XP Pro is cheaper
> then RHEL WS.  This pricing point is actually hurting Linux.  More
> home-users, IT manager, etc are familiar with MS then with Linux.  If
> they look at trying a switch to Linux and see that it now COSTS MORE,
> most will not make the switch.

even when thier networks are hosed by the worm-of-the-month?
My windows machine and apps crash 10 fold the times my Fedora machine does.
why should I fork out $99?

Is XP home still $99 after you buy office, a firewall, anti-virus, etc, etc?
The cost is not just what you get in a box. Think of how much you save by
having virtually every peice of software you can imagine for free with source
code, Isn't that worth more money? It is to alot of busineses.