System lockup with SMP Kernel.

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 4 08:32:46 UTC 2004

Paul Furness wrote:

>Interestingly, I had the system hang on me 5 times today. I then stopped
>cron and anacron, and just to make sure I individually ran all the jobs
>that anacron might have tried to run (/etc/cron.*/*) without any
>trouble.
>
>cron and anacron are still stopped, and I haven't hung since. I'll try
>leaving it on overnight tonight and see what happens.
>
>I did recompile the kernel but haven't tried booting it yet, because the
>system hasn't hung for a while.
>
>Oh, incidentally (in case this helps) I have Athlons, not Pentiums, so
>this doesn't look to be CPU specific.
>
>Watch this space for further updates... :)
>
>P.

I have run a P4 HT system all night on the SMP kernel and it didn't
crash, the systems was setup as a minimum install and then Apache, PHP
and MySQL were added..

So it looks like the crashing SMP problem is caused by something that is
installed when a workstation or desktop install is done, and that is
possibly run or triggered by Cron..

The only difference I can see between the two cron.daily directorys is
that the workstation install has a "tetex.cron" script in cron.daily but
I dont think that would be the cause of the problem..

The other thing that could be freaking it out is when prelink runs,
maybe when prelink is doing whatever it does it is hanging a workstation
but not a minimum installed system..

Just thoughts.. :)

Later..