User Linux

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 10:39:59 UTC 2004

Hi Chad

Just read this posting and had to congratulate you on a "clear", "level
headed", "unbiased" and sensible response.
I am a Linux newbie (I prefer novice) I work for an IT company selling
solutions, primarily MS based. Four years ago one of our engineers
showed me Linux my immediate response was "what a crap system" this was
based on my personal memory's of VIC20 and ZX Spectrum which were only
enjoyed by so called "geeks" who had the time and patience to sit, learn
the code and figure out how to repair any bugs. This tended to give them
(the ones I knew and met) the opinion  of "I'm better than you" with the
added annoyance that they would not share that knowledge as this would
undermine their stature and allow the "plebeians" into the fold.

Linux has moved on in leaps and bounds and is now moving in the realms
of the general public, in 95% on cases it works "out of the box" and
with GUI based apps is appealing to joe public. Like most windows users
I want programs that I install to 1. Load 2. Work, so far I have only
come across two products Open Office and Cross over office both products
install with a nice graphical interface so the user can see something
happening, don't cry about dependencies (apart from open office wanting
Java but you can skip that without a refusal to load and run) this is
the way forward if Linux is to really take off plus two sides of the
coin will be happy joe public can use it with little or in some cases no
knowledge and geeks can mess around because of the open source.

I have been using RH9 for the past 4 months and have just started using
Fedora I am an 89% happy user (but that is more lack of knowledge than
anything else) on the whole most of the community is helpful although
there are still some users who look down their nose at novices like me.

Keep up your open attitude what a refreshing view.

Regards
Pete

Regards

Peter Cannon