I Think It's OSS

Paul_Vandenberg p.vandenberg at personainternet.com
Wed Feb 4 14:34:31 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have the same sound hardware and XMMS won't even load. How can I
change what XMMS uses, when it won't load?

Thanks....Paul

Same problem here, but I think it's the OSS sound driver.  ogg123 has the
same problem with OSS (sometimes OSS can't even play the streams I
picked),
but when I switch to ESD (the Enlightenment Sound Daemon), the same Ogg
Vorbis files and streams play correctly.  Therefore, I suspect OSS not
the
sound hardware.

XMMS works well for me because I had already set that to use ESD.  When I
set it to OSS, XMMS fails in the same way Rhythmbox did.

On different sound hardware, OSS might work better but on an Intel
82801DB
AC'97 (i810_audio driver), some things simply don't work on OSS.