Speaking of VPNs..

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Wed Feb 4 17:19:17 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 04.02.2004 schrieb Neal D. Becker um 14:07:
> Mark wrote:
>
> > I have a small business client that is still running on Windows NT
> > 3.5.1.

Wow! I like the look and feel ow Win 3.11 :-)

>  I'm thinking about putting Fedora on their main server and
> > making it a firewall, internet gateway, etc on their DSL line.  I
> > brought it up the other day, and they will not mind the change as long
> > as their employees can still VPN into the server, and PCAnywhere into
> > their PC or a server.

Neal, you can try a VNC on top of a SSH tunnel with putty.
See http://www.benjamin.weiss.name/putty-tunnel.html

Putty for windoze:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
Putty for Red Hat/FC1:
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/putty/

> > I already have the a test server setup to show them.  DHCP is giving out
> > an IP address (192.168.1.x), BIND is working and resolving, and a nice
> > IPTables rules are set in.  Now, I need a VPN server that will let their
> > Windows 2000 and Windows XP Pro laptops connect to the VPN from their
> > cable modem/DSL at home, get a internal IP address, and be able to
> > PCAnywhere into the machines.
> >
> > Can someone recommend a good one that will allow this?
> >

> I strongly recommend openvpn, although you'll have to check if widows
> clients are supported.

I 100% agree, but if Neal wants something, that Windoze (including 98) can
connect to natively I'm afraid he needs to use poptop.

OpenVPN is only for usable for Win2K and above, and still his customers
need to install the client software on their computer.

Christoph