Surface Check on Linux?

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Wed Feb 4 19:36:26 UTC 2004

I lost an ext3 file system yesterday.  It was a
single partition occupying a full 120 GB disk.
It was mounted under /backup.  This is on a
home network and I actually have gotten my wife
and kids to take backups of anything they think
is important.  The file system just totally went
to pieces.  The data was corrupted and the file
names were mutilated.  The system had been up
for several weeks.

I unmounted the file system and ran fsck, after
about 30000 lines of errors, I figured there was
not enough left to worry about. I ran mkfs.ext2
and adjusted /etc/fstab accordingly.  This switched
from ext3 to ext2.

I am now suspicious of the hard drive.  Are there
any surface scan utilities for linux?

Thanks for any pointers.

Robert Styma