My kingdom for a working DNS

Alberto Molteni alberto_molteni at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 20:06:29 UTC 2004

Hi!

I've finally managed to get my speedtouch adsl modem
working. As it turned out, the speedtch module was
causing modem_run to hang. Unloading it resulted in a
bright green flash on the ADSL led (Thanks Fulvio!)

So, sing loud sing proud, I was already half way to
the moon when... catastrophe arrived disguised as a
malfunctioning DNS system.

What happens is this: all internet-based applications
work perfectly so long as I use IP addresses, but when
I dare to use a domain name, or just even click on an
absolute href link, the whole system falls to pieces.
Every single program reports Host unavailable/not
found. For example: launching Mozilla and typing
66.187.232.50 in the location bar will bring up RedHat
Home Page, but www.redhat.com will result in a quite
inelegant error message. I even tried this: "ping
66.132.146.48" (WinMX site) works, but "ping
www.winmx.com" doesn't.

Any suggestions?
Alberto Molteni
alberto_molteni at yahoo.com