Surface Check on Linux?

Gerrit gerrit at nl.linux.org
Wed Feb 4 20:33:33 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:
> STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:
> >I am now suspicious of the hard drive.  Are there
> >any surface scan utilities for linux?
>
> Well, you could have done an
>
> 	mke2fs -c -c -j /dev/whatever
>
> to do a destructive write/read bad block scan.  You can also use the
> badblocks utility ("man badblocks" for details).

I recently found out this is no guarantee: my father ran this on my
sisters' hd, after which the usual tools gave no complains any more, and
the hd was writable and accesible, but still gave irreproducable errors
and wouldn't boot. We've been unable to track it down, unfortunately.
It had been running smoothly for I think 5 years or so (with
intermediate downtime ;-).

Gerrit.

	http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/
Kom in verzet tegen dit kabinet: