MIME type

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Wed Feb 4 22:39:13 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-02-04 09:33, Rogelio Bazán Reyes whipped out a trusty
#2 pencil and scribbled:

> i suppose that my netscape web server is one them, because i´m denying
> audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin.
> i will probe  with  application/x-rpm.
> thanx a lot
>
> ---------------------------------
> Rogelio Bazán Reyes
> Grupo Financiero Santander Serfín
> Soporte Técnico
> Tlalpan 3016. Col Espartaco
> C.P. 04870
> D.F., México Tel. +52 +55 51741100 ext.19321 +52 +55 51741953
> ---------------------------------
>

> Piero Calucci wrote:

>>> The File Associations config tool for the Ximian Desktop indicates an
>>> RPM is application/x-rpm.
>>>

>> There is a large number of (slightly broken) web servers that serve RPMs
>> w/ a mime type of audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin

The problem of course, is that the MIME type is reported by the server,
and can be anything.  I have seen several variations, most of which a
human could guess were either RPM or Real Audio, but sometimes just
text/plain!

If you want to allow Linux packages but not allow Real Audio, you need a
moderately smart filter that allows any MIME type with both
"application" and "-rpm" but disallows "audio", and that will still
block some actual RPMs that are improperly identified by the server.

--
Fritz Whittington
Men are wise in proportion, not to their experience, but to their capacity for experience. (James Boswell, Life of Samuel Johnson, 1791)