Grub not starting Windows

Thu Feb 5 15:06:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 04:00, antonio montagnani wrote:
> Scott Talbot wrote:
>

> >	GRUB is now default for a good variety of reasons, not the least of
> >which is it is easier to configure.

Once you get up the learning curve.  The shell can be quite useful in
debugging installation problems.

> >	I believe that your problems have more to do with the windows
> >partition, as you stated that it happened suddenly, I assume that
> >recently, you could boot into either Fedora or Win.
> >snip<

> title DOS
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1

This boot stanza looks a bit weird - the 2nd and 3rd lines
conventionally start with whitespace (a tab), but can't see anything in
the docs that says it is REQUIRED, and don't want to reboot to find out
empirically right now.  The missing "makeactive" line suggested earlier
in the thread (see also "grub info") is more likely to be the problem.

> here is the ouput of df command
>
> Filesystem        blocchi di   1K   Usati Disponib. Uso% Montato su
> /dev/hdb2             14152372   2977916  10455548  23% /
> /dev/hdb1               101086     12533     83334  14% /boot
> none                    127504         0    127504   0% /dev/shm
>
> Fdisk will follow as he didn't find the command and it was too late last night.........anyway he doesn't remember any deletion of files or bad crash....
> Yes, he could boot both Fedora and Windows.

Check to see if /dev/hda1 is active when you get the fdisk output.  IIRC
some versions of Windoze get unhappy if they are not the active
partition.  If the behavior changed when you did the Fedora upgrade,
that may be a clue.

Pardon me if I state the obvious, but if you do decide to rewrite the
MBR as mentioned in the original post, be sure you have a bootable grub
or syslinux floppy to get back to linux.  Otherwise you're into booting
recovery mode from CD which can get messy.  Would not recommend DOS
"fdisk/mbr" as the boot record is OK if you can boot Fedora with GRUB.

> Tnx
> --
>  Antonio Montagnani
>  Working with Mozilla 1.6 on Linux Fedora Core 1
>    Utilizzo Mozilla 1.6 su Linux Fedora Core 1

Phil Schaffner