Newbie Question Architecture

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu Feb 5 15:21:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Eric Olson wrote:

> I hope this is not a redundant question... I have looked on line for the
> answer, but I might not be looking in the right place.
>
> Does Fedora have i686 iso's to download? I only saw the i386 on the
> website.
>
> Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Looking in the archives b4 posting would be a good start.

Having said that the answer is no. They are not needed.
The i386 iso will work just fine on your latest and greatest P4 or whatever.
When compiling with i686 optimizations will help performance there
are i686 rpm available in the i386 iso's. Things like glibc and the kernel
are examples of things that benefit from such optimizations. FWIW there is
not even an i386 kernel on the iso's.